ST. EDWARD’S MATERNITY CLINIC

St. Edward’s Maternity Clinic was established in 1996 at the request of the people and Chief of Dwinyama, through the Late Rev. Fr. Edward Scott Cssp; on behalf of the Bishop of Kumasi, Most Rev. Peter Kwasi Sarpong. It was set up as an outreach clinic of St. Patrick Hospital, Offinso.  It was an old church building which was partitioned into a clinic with an additional four-room block to serve as a Maternity Section in 1994.  Since its establishment in 1996 it has been under the management of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mother of Christ.  The clinic was registered by the Private Hospital and Maternity Home Board on July 15, 1997 and by CHAG in July 1998.  It was then, under supervision of the St. Patrick Hospital, and Catholic Diocese of Kumasi.

ST. JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL.

Year of Establishment

St. John of God Hospital was established as a Maternity Home in 1953 with three Staff. The Traditional Council appealed to the Catholic Church to take up the running of the facility and Brother John Verbert, a Dutchman, was appointed to manage the facility.  Later, Dr. Magdalene, the first Dutch Medical Officer, was assigned to the facility by the Catholic Church.  She was later joined by the husband, also a Medical Practitioner who became the Medical Officer in-charge.

St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital

HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL

St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital in Hwidiem located in the Asutifi district of the Brong Ahafo Region was started as a sanatorium for small pox victims in 1956. It became a clinic under the Catholic Diocese of Kumasi. This was as a result of a request from the Chief and elders of Hwidiem Traditional Area. The request became necessary due to the many contagious diseases like small pox and leprosy that prevailed in the area. This clinic has developed into a modern hospital over the years and is currently under the administration of the Catholic Diocese of Goaso.With time, the hospital has been up graded to a district hospital. A considerable amount of renovation and construction works have been carried out over the years. The hospital consists of a number of individual buildings in all shades of quality size and appearance. Generally, the hospital offers quality and affordable medical services for the people of Asutifi and nearby Asunafo, Ahafo-Ano North and Bibiani Anwhiaso – Bekwai districts and beyond as well as referrals from other clinics and district hospitals. The catchment area of the hospital is estimated to be over 120,000.

OLA Secondary

HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

The school was the brain child of the chief of Kenyasi II, Nana Nsiah Ababio II.  He and his elder wished to have a Girls’ Secondary School in the area to help the young girl to acquire formal education.  To achieve this dream they approached the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sunyani, Most Rev. James Owusu (of Blessed Memory) who in turn contacted the international women congregation the OLA Sisters who also promptly responded to his call to establish and run the school.  the school was started with 34 pupils on the 27th of September, 1974.  it was absorbed into the Government Public System in September, 1976.

ST. JOSEPH’S TRAINING COLLEGE

St. Joseph’s Training College like all rivers of academic knowledge started as trickles from its remote sources. From a modest beginning with the first crop of 21 men as students and and three members of staff in 1948, today, the college can boast of population of 900 students (men and women) and 42 members of teaching staff and also having trained several thousands of teachers who have served and continue to serve the needs of the length and breadth of the nation.St. Joseph’s Training College was founded in 1948 by Rev. Father Joseph Moulders the then Parish Priest of the Catholic Church at Bechem. It started as a two-year teacher’s certificate “B” college. It became the first teacher training college in the Ahafo area of the then Gold Coast to cater for needs of the then expanding programme of Education in the country. The land on which the college is situated was donated by Nana Fosu Gyeabour 1, the then Bechemmanhene, and his elders in 1947.

GOASO DIOCESAN PASTORAL AND SOCIAL CENTRE

The Catholic Diocese of Goaso, since its inception about 12 years ago has been able to put up a magnificent Diocesan Pastoral and Training Centre at Goaso. The centre is to serve as a place for Seminars, Retreats, etc for both Priests, Religious and the lay faithful in and outside the diocese, where one can have a period of self-examination on personal life and leadership training Centre for the Youth and the other Societies in the Church.

About Us

The Catholic Diocese of Goaso is the sixteenth diocese in Ghana to be created by the Holy Father Pope John Paul II. Until October 1997, the Catholic Diocese of Goaso was part of the Catholic Diocese of Sunyani.

Get In Touch

Catholic Diocese of Goaso, P.O.Box 28,Goaso, Ahafo, Ghana, West Africa.

035–2091809 / 035-2091808